At St Nicholas Primary Academy, we follow the new National Curriculum for Maths. The National Curriculum for Maths aims to ensure that all pupils:
- become fluent in the fundamentals of mathematics, including through varied and frequent practice with increasingly complex problems over time, so that pupils develop conceptual understanding and the ability to recall and apply knowledge rapidly and accurately.
- reason mathematically by following a line of enquiry, conjecturing relationships and generalisations, and developing an argument, justification or proof using mathematical language
- can solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions.
By using statutory curriculum criteria and other relevant planning documentation, we ensure that every year group covers the following core skills:
- Number and Place Value
- Addition and Subtraction
- Multiplication and Division
- Fractions, Decimals and Percentages
- Ratio and Proportion (Y6)
- Algebra (Y6)
In addition, we strongly support the mental fluency of number through our planning and teaching. The school are also part of Times Table Rock Stars - a times table website aimed at increasing the rapid recall of multiplication and division facts. This is an area of Mathematics that can be improved at home as well as in school and all of our pupils have their own account and login.
Here are some useful website links to help with home learning.